Friday, January 17, 2014

Early bird gets the worm!

It seems the older I get (and the more pregnant I get) I rise even earlier each morning. And of course what good is a morning without a delicious breakfast? In this post I have compiled two of my favorite breakfast items.

On week day mornings I try to be as healthy as possible...smoothies are the way to go. And so easy! You can add just about anything you want or have on hand into your blender and puree up a scrumptious, healthy start to your work day.

Mean Green Smoothie
3/4 cup Greek plain full fat yogurt
1 banana
1 cup of juice/milk
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup raspberries
1/2 cup strawberries
1 cup spinach/kale mix
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp chia seeds

Don't let the word "green" scare you. Trust me, you won't taste the green in this mean green smoothie. The reason I add spinach and kale into my smoothie is to give myself that extra serving of vegetables that are so good for you. You'll taste the fruit you add into the smoothie. You'll notice that I put different examples of a liquid...I usually use the juice we have on hand (orange or apple) but I've also used coconut water and that tasted great. I use full fat Greek yogurt because I want the healthy fats and love the creaminess it adds to my smoothie. Then I pulse this altogether, once it is pureed I slowly add in a few ice cubes until it reaches the consistency that I prefer. Then when I pour it into my cup, I add chia seeds on top and mix it around before I drink. This adds another punch to the super healthy smoothie. This breakfast will give you so much energy and just make you feel good. For you mamas-to-be this is an awesome pregnant breakfast, great for you and amazing for your growing baby.



Quinoa-Citrus-Currant Muffins
2 cups of cooked quinoa (follow instructions on bag)
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup safflower oil
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup dried currants
2 Tbsp orange zest
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice

Mix wet ingredients together in a standing mixer. Meanwhile, add dry ingredients together and mix with a fork until combined. Slowly add in dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Add in currants. Lastly add in juice and zest. Spoon into a greased and floured muffin pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

The fluffy quinoa gives these healthy muffins a moist texture and the currants give you a pop of tartness. You can really add any dried fruit, fresh fruit or nuts that you have on hand as well. I took these to my best friend who had recently had her first baby, a great treat for a loved one.

Both of these breakfasts are winners and don't take long to make. I hope you enjoy! xo Lo




No comments:

Post a Comment