Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Almond-Cornmeal Crusted Pork with Rice Pilaf & Broiled Veggies

I love a great flavored crust on pork, chicken, turkey or fish. Sometimes you find one and get stuck on using it all the time. When I made the following recipe I was determined to find a new rub that would turn into a delicious crust on my pork. I looked in my fridge and had pork chops, smoked almonds, cornmeal, brussel sprouts, yellow onion and rice. I became inspired and hit the ground running with my apron on.

Almond-Cornmeal Crusted Pork

My husband and I keep almonds in our house as a staple snack, not once did I think of chopping these almonds up and using them as a fabulous pork crust!

1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup stone ground cornmeal
2 pork chops
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
pinch of paprika

Chop your almonds, I used half plain and half smoked. Add in your cornmeal and seasoning. Have your grill pan or saute pan on medium heat with olive oil. Once the pork chops are coated on both sides, into this flavorful, nutty mixture place onto your hot pan. Cook for 25-30 minutes, flipping occasionally.


Rice Pilaf

1 cup chicken stock
1 Tbp olive oil
1 cup Basmati rice
pinch salt
pinch pepper
pinch of basil

Meanwhile, add some chicken stock into your sauce pan or dutch oven. Put one cup of basmati rice into the boiling liquid. Add in olive oil and seasonings, cover and stir sporadically.

Broiled Veggies
 1/2 yellow onion
1 cup brussel sprouts
1 clove garlic
1 Tbs olive oil
pinch salt
pinch pepper
pinch basil

Chop up your yellow onion and brussel sprouts into thick slices or halves. Set the veggies aside and make your seasoning mixture by adding one chopped garlic clove to a bowl, pour in the olive oil, add salt, pepper and basil. Give that mixture a toss and add in your veggies to coat. Put another saute or grill pan on medium heat, drizzle a bit of olive oil and add your thick disks of onion and halves of brussel sprouts, face down, that way they'll get beautiful grill marks.

Once your pork is done, make a cut inside, make sure it is mostly white with the faintest pink color. Stir up your rice, turn your veggies and serve. I hope the smoky, nuttiness of the crust on the pork will delight your palate and the comfort of the rice pilaf and veggies will please your soul.

xo Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment