Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lunches On The Go-Go!

During the week most people think of lunch last. I'm here to help you make a fast yet healthy lunch that you can grab on the go or take to work.

Beans & Rice with Cheese

1 can of black beans
1 cup Basmati rice
1/2 cup cheddar cheese

Boil your water and add your rice with a pinch of salt. Put beans in a saucepan and heat up until they are nice and bubbly. Shred your cheddar cheese, set to the side for final topping. Once rice is done, spoon into a bowl, top with beans and finally, top with cheese. The cheese will start to melt and create a cheesy, bean goodness. This meal is stacked with protein, calcium and a healthy dose of carbs.


Grilled Italian Panini

two slices of bread
leftover veggies (cooked, from a previous meal)
sliced turkey
swiss cheese
olive oil
almonds
cookies

For this panini, my husband was on his way home for lunch and he was super hungry. I knew I had leftover zucchini, squash and onion, along with a little bit of swiss cheese, whole wheat bread and sliced turkey. I started by lightly drizzling the outside of the bread and placing on the panini press. I heated up the leftover veggies and turkey in a saute pan. Then I placed slices of cheese onto the slices of bread, added the veggies and the turkey- combined both slices and put the press on top of the sammy. After a few minutes the cheese had melted, which glued the sandwich together. I plated the sandwich with some almonds and homemade Snickerdoodles. My husband loved the panini!


Follow these recipes and surely you can create a homemade fast, delicious lunch when you've got to go-go!

xo Lo

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying this blog! Everything looks delicious and it's exciting to see new dishes and ideas! I want to try your Greek Salad you posted a while back! That looked soooo good! Congrats to you and Evan!! Y'all make a beautiful couple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly! Thank you very much for your sweet comment :) I'd love for you to follow my blog! Any commentary is much appreciated! Thank you for the congratulations! Seems like you need congrats your way too with your new lil girl :)

    ReplyDelete