Friday, July 15, 2011

My favorite meal of the day

What is your favorite meal of the day? Mine is hands down breakfast! Everything about breakfast makes me smile, the smell of coffee brewing in the wee hours of the morning, getting settled on my comfy couch with a book before anyone else in the house wakes up. Then as my tummy grumbles I decide what to make. On this particular day I was feeling a bit over-worked from having a bit too much fun the day before so I knew I needed a good breakfast fix. Pancakes with a fried egg on top smothered in Maple syrup...mmmm! This dish will get your sugar levels back on track, add some healthy protein and carbs, before you know it you'll feel back on track to conquer the day.

The recipe I used:

Pancakes:
1 1/2 cups of 1/2 whole wheat flour & 1/2 organic unbleached flour
2 large organic eggs
3 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
a pinch of salt
pinch of fresh nutmeg
1 1/4 cups of organic milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil

Combine dry ingredients into a bowl and wet ingredients into a mixer. After blending separately add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold together. Oil up your skillet and add 1/2 cup of the pancake batter, let sit til bubbles appear on the sides then flip and continue.

Eggs:

Grab a few large eggs
salt & pepper

Make sure your skillet is hot with olive oil in it, crack the egg gently into the skillet. Add a pinch of salt and pepper on top. Once the egg starts bubble on the sides, gently flip. Turn your skillet off, assemble your pancake on the plate, top with the egg then smother with Maple syrup and dig in!

What did you think of this recipe? xoxo Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment