Thursday, October 13, 2011

My First Emergency Chef Wound

I recently decided to embark on a fantastical, delicious, healthy meal of raspberry and pistachio encrusted chicken. As the chicken bathed in the aroma of raspberry, hints of mustard and crushed pistachio, I decided to move the sizzling pot from the top of the stove and into the oven at 375 degrees. After some time, I pulled the grill pan with plump chicken out of the steaming oven. Then after a few more minutes my buzzing mind seemed to have forgotten about the sizzling grill pan handle and as I grabbed the handle which it's appearance lied about just how hot it actually was. I simply wanted to serve the meal that I strived to make so perfect, the pan was extremely heavy and as I grabbed the silver pan handle, I gripped tightly in order to not drop the marvelous meal I revered over for an hour. Once my nerves alerted my hand which alerted my brain that my skin was now touching a handle of 375 degrees I dropped the pan and ran hysterically across our apartment.



This being our first emergency (knock on wood) in our marriage, my husband leapt up and tried to be of assistance to me in my time of painful need. If you ever burn your hand on extreme heat, the first thing you need to do after you are done screaming out in immense pain. Run that body part under cool water from the faucet for about 30 minutes, then make sure you have a lot of extra strength ibuprofen, do not cover for at least 12 hours until the painful heat feeling ends. Once you stop letting water run over your body part you'll probably want to submerge the burned area into icy cold water. This is fine, then eventually you will want to cover the wound and use some burn gel to relieve the pain. The skin will eventually start to bubble up, do not pick at the blisters, let them heal slowly, you do not want an infection to occur. If the blisters start to crack, put neosporin on them to help keep them supple and from breaking open. Eventually the new skin will take over. If you ever see bone, muscle, if your skin is melted you need to go to the emergency room as soon as possible.






The pictures I posted are after one day, after four days and after one week. After I finished running my hand under water I dunked it in a icy bath. My husband tried to help bandage it but that just seemed to trap the heat (aka fiery pain) inside my hand. I screamed and hollered and we eventually figured out that bandaging my wound was not a bright idea, so then I dunked my radiating hand back into the icy water. I had to keep an ice pack on my hand for the next 12 hours before the fiery pain would finally stop. Then the bubbly blisters started to appear, I kept my hand bandaged and kept taking 3-4 ibuprofen every four hours to keep the pain away. It has been 9 days so far and my blister on the lower part of my palm is still there but the rest of my hand has pretty much healed.




Take care of yourself and try not to get so caught up in your cooking where you get harmed.

xoxo Safety first! xo Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment